Certified Nurse Aide
Smith Vocational Adult Community Education
Classroom: 60 hours Clinical: 24 hours
Class/Lab Time: Saturdays, 9:00 am – 3:30 pm, November 3, 2018 – January 19, 2019 (no classes November 24 or December 29)
Clinical Time: Saturdays, 9:00 am – 3:30 pm, January 26 – February 16, 2019
Cost: $1,250 (textbook and materials included in cost - students must pay a fee of $100 to the Red Cross for the CNA certification exam)
Our MA Department of Public Health approved Nurse Aide Training Program will prepare you for the Red Cross Nurse Aide state certification exam.
Nurse Aides are the backbone of care delivered to the elderly in a variety of settings. They help patients perform day-to-day tasks, especially personal care. Employment is expected to increase by 12% from 2016 – 2026 (Bureau of Labor Statistics Occupation Outlook Handbook).
- Care for patients’ basic needs and assist in bathing, toileting, feeding, dressing, grooming, and moving patients.
- Work as part of a care team under the supervision of a nurse.
- Perform physically demanding work, lifting patients and standing for a long time.
- Work 24/7 with all shifts available allowing for flexibility in selecting a schedule that meets your needs. Overnight shifts earn a higher hourly wage.
Our Certified Nurse Aide (CNA) course includes 60 classroom hours and 24 clinical hours. Regulations require that students attend all scheduled classroom and clinical hours. State-certified CNA's can then work in any environment that includes skilled nursing, such as long term care facilities, rehab centers, and hospitals. Upon successful completion of this course, you will be eligible to take the practical and written certification exams to become a Certified Nurse Aid in the Commonwealth of MA.
- A TB Skin Test with a negative result within the past twelve (12) months is required. The test may be obtained from your family physician or local Health Department.
- The ability to lift, push, move and turn at least 50 lbs.
- An acceptable criminal offender background check (CORI). No refunds are given due to an unacceptable CORI.